Now that I’m not only working full time, but also a mommy, I’ve been looking for healthy, quick meals to cook on weeknights. I want to make sure what we are eating is good for us, but I don’t want to waste time I could be spending with the family in the kitchen cooking. So, I’m going to start collecting these quick meals and share them with you all under the “Quick Meals” tag.
The first meal I’ve got for you all is two fillets of lemon pepper fish with mixed vegetables and long grain rice. The whole meal takes about 15 minutes to make. The recipe below makes enough for my husband and I for dinner with four fillets left over for lunch sandwiches the next day. (If you want to make this for a family of four, all you have to do is double the rice and veggies.)
- 2 lbs of fish (I usually use Tilapia. This is usually between 7 and 8 fillets.)
- 1 bag of “Steam in Bag” vegetables (I usually use a broccoli and cauliflower mixture)
- Uncle Ben’s microwavable long grain rice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher Salt
- Lemon pepper
- Optional: Lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prep the fish: In a glass 9×13 pan coat and season fish and bake for 15 minutes.
- When the fish is half way through, prepare the rest of the meal in the microwave. I usually start with the rice because the veggies cool quickly.
It’s that simple. In 15 minutes, you have a full meal that is only around 450 calories and is super filling. Even though you are using the microwave for half of the food, it is still very yummy and does not have that “I just microwaved dinner,” taste.
I’ll go through and add photos of the whole process and what all I use in an update next time I make it. (Which will probably be next week since I make this about one a week.)
Do you have any healthy, go-to recipes? Feel free to share them in the comments so I can try them out!